History of Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is one of two independent nations on the island of Hispaniola. The other is Haiti, and even though they share the same land, the two are as different as chalk and cheese!
The island of Hispaniola was founded by Christopher Columbus in 1492.
Before his discovery, the island was inhabited by native people from the mainland.
Life on the island changed completely after the Europeans arrived with the introduction of civilization and forceful newcomers.
This resulted in the split of the island with the French taking around 30% of the western area, which is now commonly known as Haiti and the remaining 70% of the eastern region was occupied by the Spanish.
Today, the Dominican Republic is described as heaven on earth, attracting millions of tourists to visit the beautiful island every year.
The Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean country with a population of 10 million.
Most of the population lives in the capital city of Santo Domingo.
The everlasting summer and stunning landscape are just some of the reasons it is a top tourist destination.
Things to Do In Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic has an abundance of luxurious resorts, and is an ideal place for a relaxing summer vacation.
It is known for its pristine beaches, coastline, untouched nature and historical monuments.
The island is a great place for a summer vacation and has soft white sandy beaches, crystal clear seas, and a vibrant natural landscape of desert lowland, mangrove lagoons and unbelievable Colonial architecture.
There is a lot to explore as the country is made up of lush tropical islands including Saona, Beata, Catalina and Alto Velo islands.
The mountain ranges span over half of the island including the peak of Antilles that soars over 3 km high.
Interestingly, the Dominican Republic boasts world class fishing and with the temperatures ranging between 34 to 19 degrees Celsius adventure is just around the corner.
The main beaches on the island are Santo Domingo, La Romana, Barahona/Pedernales, Montecristi, Puerto Plata, Punta Cana/Bávaro and Samaná.
In Santo Domingo, Los Tres Ojos National Park is a great place to visit for the day. The park features incredible limestone caves and crystal-clear lagoons.
Santo Domingo is a great place to visit and has an excellent choice of accommodation, bars and restaurants.
In Puerto Plata, Ocean World Adventure Park features animal encounters and you can even swim with sharks and dolphins.
Sunbathing and enjoying the beach is no doubt a favorite thing to do for vacationers.
For more active travelers, snorkeling, kayaking, surfing boogie boarding, jet skiing and yachting is available on the island.
Golf courses to suit all abilities can also be found here.
Whale watching and river rafting are also very popular and loved when visiting the Dominican Republic.
The Dominican Republic is one of the world’s best places to dive in the Caribbean.
The crystal clear waters and the abundance of brightly-colored marine life make it the number one spot for diving and snorkeling.
The nightlife on the island is incredible.
There are tons of bars, discos, casinos, theaters, and restaurants.
The entertainment begins early and goes on until early into the next morning!
The friendly natives are so welcoming and love to show off their stunning island and its treasures to visitors. And don’t even get me started on the food!
The food is a combination of African, Spanish and Indian.
It’s not heavily spiced; instead it contains plenty of garlic, herbs and delicious tangy sauces.
Rice and beans is the most common dish in the Dominican Republic, and is usually served at every meal.
It is a staple dish and highly nutritious and tasty. It contains red kidney beans cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, and is accompanied by pork or chicken or salad.
If you travel to Punta Cana, the restaurant Passion is a must.
So is La Yola, which has the best Punta Cana ceviche!
Ceviche is a popular seafood dish in the Dominican Republic.
I’ve probably made you hungry, and ready for a vacation!
Check out our Dominican Republic vacation rentals below!